Sunday, September 8, 2013

Simply teaching in NYS

Simply teaching in New York is almost impossible these days. I know that many of you are reading this and probably thinking the exact same thing. The question is, will we ever be ably to simply teach again?
I find that I am so worried about an SLO or LLO or running to my lunch duty that I forget that teaching Spanish vocabulary can be fun. I forget why I got into this profession some days. Sometimes I wonder if what I have a passion for really isn't possible anymore.
I love to plan lessons, create ways to learn vocabulary, and grade papers with my fun colored markers but sometimes even that doesn't make my day any better because New York State has made it impossible for me to sit down and grade a paper or plan a great lesson.
I just want to teach. Plain and simple. One great way to add some fun to an ordinary day might be to have students create a blog! One of the NYS Standards of Foreign Language is Communication. In the video that I watched on blogs it talked all about why blogs were created for communication. What a fun way to practice our Spanish skills! Students could create a blog in Spanish on a current topic in class. The teacher could grade the students on their Spanish, the creation of the blog, and their communication skills in the language.
In the article written by Rita Zeinsteger she says that blogs can be used for collaboration skills. Collaborating is one of the most important 21st Century Skills. (I know this from ALL of my lesson planning of course)
Collaboration is important for both students and teachers. I can collaborate with other teachers by reviewing articles and posting articles. My students can communicate practice their language skills and read articles that might interest them as well. Communicating with their community, or talking about other cultures are two things that they could also do and both are a part of the official ACTFL standards of LOTE!

ACTFL Standards Check it out! 
I love this tool. I look forward to being an "official blogger". 
Hasta luego,
Alissa

2 comments:

  1. It sounds as if blogs may make learning fun again for both you and the students. I hope it works out that way. You never know until you try.

    BTW what do SLO and LLO stand for?

    Unfortunately you created your lovely blog and posted on it one day late, so you can only receive 1/2 credit for each task.

    If you are looking for ideas for blogging, be sure to check out Liz Mason's blog that her students used to do a project. http://iasgramaticaycultura.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alissa,

    Good to see you on your newly-made blog. I think you must be a really passionate teacher, and I hope you will accoplish what you have in mind, "plain and simple teaching," someday. Thank you.

    See you.

    Jeeyoung

    ReplyDelete